Crawfish Enchiladas from Gulf Coast Favorites cookbook
Crawfish with a cheesy creamy filling and southwestern seasonings turn enchiladas into a crawfish fiesta.
Makes 16 enchiladas
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup fat-free Half & Half
1 pound Louisiana crawfish tails, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 ounces light processed cheese spread
Salt and pepper to taste
16 (6-inch) flour tortillas
1/2 cup shredded, reduced-fat, cheddar cheese
1 cup canned enchilada sauce
1. Preheat oven 350°F. Coat 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté onion, garlic, and green pepper until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and green chilies.
3. Stir in flour and gradually add Half & Half. Add crawfish and chili powder; cook until boiling and thickened.
4. Reduce heat, stir in processed cheese until melted, and season to taste. Divide crawfish mixture (about 1/4 cup) among each tortilla, roll and lay seam side down in baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
5. Pour enchilada sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake 10 minutes or until heated and cheese is melted.
Nutritional information per enchilada: Calories 172, Calories from fat (%) 20, Fat (g) 4, Saturated Fat (g) 2, Cholesterol (mg) 44, Sodium (mg) 492, Carbohydrate (g) 23, Dietary Fiber (g) 2, Sugars (g) 3, Protein (g) 11 Diabetic Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat