When Is Louisiana Crawfish Season?
Louisiana Crawfish Season Facts
- Louisiana accounts for 90 – 95 percent of the total U.S. production yearly.
- In Louisiana, most crawfish is harvested between December- June; peak season being March – May.
- When it comes to crawfish – always ask before you eat!COOL is the USDA’s mandatory country of origin labeling program.
- Read label VERY closely making sure country of origin is USA and not just ‘Distributed” in the USA.
- Often Chinese crawfish is labeled with Cajun sounding names; however under the USDA COOL program, these crawfish must be clearly labeled Product of China.
- Ask before you eat! By choosing only Louisiana crawfish, not only are you supporting US agriculture but you are also buying a healthier food. Chinese crawfish may contain certain banned antibiotics strictly tested for in the US but not in China.
- Crawfish averages 15% yield meat per pound; therefore it takes 6 – 7 pounds of live crawfish to get 1 pound of peeled tails.